Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Won’t start. Won’t recognize the smart keu. Light work so…

Customer Question
Won’t start. Won’t recognize...

Won’t start. Won’t recognize the smart keu

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Light work so not battery

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

2014

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Sitting in a parking lot. He came out to his car and open the car when he went to start the car the immobilizer light came on the little icon that’s the car with the key in the center of it I brought over the other farm thinking the battery might be dead and it still won’t work

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Kia
When we get in the car now the dash says SmartKey not in the car the start stop button circle lights red and the icon that’s a car with the key in the center of it displays. We’ve brought the other fob down and it does the same thing
1/6/2018
Kia Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 6 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Thank you

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

if you tried both key fob and did not recognize and you are sure the 12 volt battery is good

then it could have lost sync to key fob

to reprogram You will need a factory scanner or equivalent to run a diagnostic scan & retrieve fault codes from the Vehicle immobilizer module modules and based on these fault codes we can pull up a Pin Point troubleshoot
and be accurate on it ,If you do get it scanned ,you can post the fault code back here for me and I can help you further on it and be more accurate .

has it been really cold where you are , there could be power inside the cabin but do we have 12 volt on the battery ,do you have voltmeter

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat