Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I sent you my problem with my 2011 kia rio then I lost the…

Customer Question
I sent you my...

I sent you my problem with my 2011 kia rio then I lost the page for the payment

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Rio yourself? What have you tried so far?

The shifter button on my 2011 Kia Rio won't depress. I'm stuck in park. There are about 56,000 miles on the car, send it's the original transmission. I have never driven it in weather this cold before. I'm not getting any warnings lights, I just can't depress the button.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

Brake lights are ok, no trouble codes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's it.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Kia
1/4/2018
Kia Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Hello Cheryl,

Sounds like the shifter interlock solenoid is sticking, it could be due to your extreme cold weather.

Does the console have a little trim to flip out where you can then depress your keyblade to pull the shifter into neutral, and then start the car?

Gary

What does that look like, and where would I find it?
The car starts with no problem.

Yes, I understand it starts normally, but you can't get it out of park, correct?

Can you see a little panel for emergency release of the gearshift, generally in front of the shifter on the top surface of the console?

Like in this article:

https://www.youcanic.com/kia/kia-wont-come-out-park

Gary