Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Wont crank(2000 kia sportage) how do I tell if its the relay…

Customer Question
Wont crank(2000 kia sportage)...

Wont crank(2000 kia sportage) how do I tell if its the relay or fuel pump

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

105,000 has always cranked before, didn't use for 5 months, then it wouldn't crank...could not hear pump running

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sportage yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, motor hits with a squirt of starting fluid, then quits

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Kia
1/3/2018
Kia Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician  replied 7 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

To clarify, the engine cranks, but won't start, right?

Or it doesn't crank at all, it just does nothing when you turn the key?

turns over fine, but wont start, unless you shoot a little starting fluid, then it fires and immediately dies
text is fine

Ok, cool. So we need to determine whether the fuel pump is getting power.

how

First, see if the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) comes on key on to know if the EGI relay is powering up the computer.

what then

If the MIL is coming on then we can either check for power at the fuel pump or at the fuel pump relay. Do you have a multimeter?

To get to the fuel pump:

Open the rear door of the vehicle.

Release the catch for the back seat and tilt it out of the way.

Pull back the square of carpet in the area behind the tilted seat which covers the fuel pump assembly access panel on vehicle floor.

Disconnect the two halves of the fuel pump assembly electrical connector.

I do...im not at the car now though, can you walk thru some steps to determine if its the pump or something else

There is a 10amp fuel pump fuse in the passenger compartment fuse box. If that fuse has 12 volts when the key is turned to the run position, or while cranking then the fuel pump relay is good and the problem is likely a bad fuel pump. If you don't get 12 volts to the fuel pump fuse then the relay might be bad.

can we talk in a few days, after I put a new battery in.....will be next week, can that be arranged

Sounds good. This chat stays open for a couple of days. Just let me know when you need additional info.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Also, please take the time to rate my response. That's how I am compensated by Just Answer for my time and expertise.