Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

How do I Remove the starter on my 2003 kia sedona? Nothing…

Customer Question
Hi How do I...

Hi How do I Remove the starter on my 2003 kia sedona?

Mechanic's Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?

Nothing and napa says its my starter

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sedona yourself? What have you tried so far?

Myself and my son im a fair mech but im old and its quite cold here

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Got the shrowed or whatever that big plate underneath out of the way just need to know where starter bolts are etc,

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Kia
12/31/2017
Kia Mechanic: Kavey, Shop Owner replied 6 months ago
Kavey
Kavey, Shop Owner

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Unhook the battery cables from the battery before working on it.

The starter is under the exhaust manifold and catalytic convertor towards the front of the engine. There are two bolts, the top will be a 15 mm and the bottom a 14 mm.

The easiest way to remove the starter is to unbolt the exhaust pipe from the catalytic convertor, which will allow the exhaust pipe to lower giving you access to the starter bolts.

You can try and remove the starter without removing the exhaust pipe, having an assistant get the bottom bolt from the top of the vehicle while you hold the socket on to the bolt to give you enough leverage to break the bolt loose.

After that, remove the top bolt and slide the starter past the heat shield and remove the battery cables from the starter. Installation of the starter is just in reverse of removal

Let me know if you need anything further.

Please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you today. Thanks