Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

There is a ticking noise coming from the glove box area and…

Customer Question
There is a ticking...

There is a ticking noise coming from the glove box area and the Sorento won't lock or unlock the doors.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

It started last night while driving it. The ticking continues while the car is shut off. It's sill doing it now. The location is like behind the glove box

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Sorento?

2014

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?

I wasn't planning on it, but there are no repair shops open until Tuesday and I'm concerned about what this noise might be. So far I've not tried anything, however there is an after market remote start that was added by the previous owner. My suspicion is that this is related to that device however I don't know if it has anything to do with the area that the noise is coming from

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Kia
12/25/2017
Kia Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If it's timed click you're hearing from that area it's most likely coming from an actuator on the heater box, most likely the recirculation door. A bound door or bad actuator can cause a clicking noise as the actuator tries to move but can't.

If you start the engine and set the heater control to defrost does the noise change or go away?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. The clicking never ends. Whether the heater/ac is on or off. Even 24 hours after the car being off. The noise will still be coming from the car.
Also - the electric door locks no longer work. Both on the car and on the keyless remote.

Are you hoping to do the required testing yourself?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. I just wanted to know what the issue might be since I can’t get to a mechanic until Tuesday. I wasn’t sure how serious this might be.

The most likely cause for the ticking would be an actuator on the heater box, which shouldn't be a major repair.

The power lock problem may be a module, switch or wiring issue, or the 20a DR LOCK fuse may be blown due to high current draw of a failing actuator or a short to ground on one of the lock or unlock circuits.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician