Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

The wrench light and the check engine light come on at the…

Customer Question
The wrench light and...

The wrench light and the check engine light come on at the same time. Then turns off after a couple days. Then comes back on. Always at the same time

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

2012 Kia Optima hybrid

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Optima Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?

I put a new gas cap on it. And changed oil and filters

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The wrench light and the engine light come on at least once a week at the exact same time sometimes it will turn off after 1 mile sometimes 20 miles sometimes I can drive for two hours and it won’t turn off . When I put the key in the ignition and turn it on there is no ranch and there is nothing that says need service

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Kia
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/22/2017
Kia Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Do you know what diagnostic codes you are getting?

No.
We had an invalid code. So my son got a new gas cap
It was from the Kia dealership

Let's start by checking codes, next time light comes on drive right to parts store where they can check codes for free. Then write code down and let me know what it is, considering light shuts off it sounds like a minor problem, probably a emission leak but checking codes will give us a better idea. Keep me updated, thanks.

How do I keep you updated?
Can I get them tomorrow ?

You can come back and reply to this answer the same way you are now, tomorrow works fine. Thanks.

OK we will thanks the two lights are already on. If they remain on then we will jam it into get the views read. If they trunk off. Do we wait until they come back on and run in and get the codes?

They should be stored in history so you should be be able to get codes even if light is off.

OK thank you

No problem, let me know. .Thanks.

Kia Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 month ago

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.

Dan, Technician