Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

The engine dies while moving also when it comes to a stop.

Customer Question
The engine dies while...

The engine dies while moving also when it comes to a stop. Took to it to goodyear and they were not able to locate any codes that was not working. it engine runs real smooth, just had tune up thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a carburetor?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

2004 kia spectra early model....138,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Spectra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just taken it to GoodYear and they were not able to fine anything. Told that due to the age of the car the codes to not appear unless issue is happening at that moment

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I guess i need to take it to the dealer maybe they have a way to locate the sensor.....i think it is a sensor because the engine runs good other than that. thank you for your time

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Kia
12/21/2017
Kia Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

Is the check engine light on now or does it come one before the engine stalls?

It does not always come on until after it dies. It died coming up the drive way, shifted in neutral and it started again. Always restarts. Died 7 times on a ten mile trip....then it will run days and no problem

Does it only stall when coming to a stop or does it also stall when driving at a steady speed?

everyone is asleep...unable to call. is the kia dealer the only one that can see codes when the problem is not happening at the moment
both at a steady speed mostly

You should be able to have any shop test this computer since it has OBD2 and if there are codes stored then any basic OBD2 scanner can get codes. You may be having a fault that is not setting codes like a fuel pump losing pressure or you have bad fuel. Have you noticed problem just started after getting fuel?

i thought that at first and goodyear said the fuel pump is functioning...i have filled up 3 times at different places..use 87 octane

If your fuel pump is going bad then it may not set a code and be causing the stall. Let me look up your car to see if there are any recalls and technical bulletins for this problem. Give me one minute.

ok

Do you know if you have the 1.8 or 2.0 motor and is it a manual or automatic transmission?

1.8 automatic

I have no listings for this problem on my system. Do you have one of those devices hooked up on your vehicle to computer test port from an insurance company to get a discount on insurance? These devices are known to cause erratic driveability problems and computer problems.

no. I have to go to work thank you for your time....

You are welcome.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Can you please enter a 5 star rating so I can get credit for assisting you and can then close out question. Thanks you and have a Happy Holiday.

If you have no other questions for me then please enter a 5 star rating so I get credit for assisting you and can then close out question for you. Thanks and Happy Holidays.