Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Key fob will not lock and unlock the door, Fuse is and blows…

Customer Question
Key fob will not...

Key fob will not lock and unlock the door, Fuse is blown and blows upon installing a new one. It suggest a short in the system. Also the door open "chime" is disabled

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

Yes and that would cause the fuse to blow\

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

2012 kia soul

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Soul yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have only tried replacing the blown 20A fuse and nothing else yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope I hope he has and electrical background

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Kia
12/20/2017
Kia Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Does the fuse blow immediately?

Or does it take a while?

I blows immediately
What would cause that all of the sudden as of (2) days ago
Are you here?

Sorry, I am here.

I was trying to get re-locked on the question. If you leave the drivers door completely open, does it blow immediately then? what about the rear lift gate, leave them both wide open and put the fuse in it and see if it blows then.

ok, let me give that a shot and get back to you. give me less then 10 minutes

No problem, take your time.

I just manually unlocked the doors and open the tailgate, then I tried to install a 30A fuse - (instead of the recommended 20A fuse) and it still blew, immediately

Alright, it's got a dead short in it, sometimes the wires break where the doors hinge, or liftgate hinges, the harness goes from the body into those areas and has to bend there, so sometimes that is where the problem is , if you can look there.

I bet you are correct. I live in Minneapolis Minnesota so it is not a time to be messing around outside
Thanks for your help alot.

I'm seeing another one where they had to replace the entire fuse panel to fix it fyi, pull the fuse, and turn the key on, see which side of the fuse is hot, then on the opposite side, (the shorted side) install a multimeter on ohms setting, meter should emit a signal indicating a short, then you start pulling and tweaking and bending on the harness until the meter quits emitting a shorting sound, that is where your problem will be. If you check those things I believe you can find it. If it is out of it's 5 year 60K warranty, I would check these things and I believe you will find the problem with one or the other. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you and best wishes!

Let us know if you need anything else. Thank you.

your ohm meter you put one lead in the opposite side of the fuse that is hot, (the shorted side) and your other lead directly onto ground, clamp it on some good clean metal with a small pair of visegrips is what I do, then let the voltmeter emit that ringing sound indicating a dead short while you move harnesses and open all the doors etc. that is the best way to find these kind of wiring shorts.

Edward
Edward
Edward, Service Technician