Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Engine missing and oil in spark plugs. 4 months a go. 2002…

Customer Question
Engine missing and oil...

Engine missing and oil in spark plugs

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

4 months a go

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

2002 Kia optima 2.7L 6cly

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed spark plugs, hoping that will solve the missing but instead I discovered two spark plug had oil in them and the missing is still there

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Plus I have to add anti-freeze all the time

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Kia
12/19/2017
Kia Mechanic: KALAMYKID, shop owner/tech replied 7 months ago
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, shop owner/tech

If you are getting oil down in the spark plug tubes, then you need to replace the valve cover gaskets and spark plug wires as well as the spark plug. The oil in the spark plug tubes will soak through the rubber boot of the plug wires and short out the spark to the side walls of he spark plug tubes. You can not clean the spark plug boots and keep them from arcing out so they must be replaced. You will also want to clean the spark plug tubes out by spraying Gumout carb cleaner into the tubes with the spark plugs out to clean out any oil that may be clinging to the spark plug tubes.

Now for the coolant leak, do you ever see any coolant on the ground after the car has been driven?