Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I have a 2012 Kia Sould with the 2.0L engine and 6 speed…

Customer Question
I have a 2012...

I have a 2012 Kia Sould with the 2.0L engine and 6 speed manual transmission. I checked to fuses today in an attempt to figure out why my door loks don't work. I was careful to put each fuse back in it's proper space. Now the car won't start. I checked the clutch safety switch, it's okay. And I can get the starter to crank using a direct feed off the battery. But when I try to start it normally, it's like there is no connection from the ignition to the starter motor. Also, all of the warning lights in the dash now stay on anytime the key is on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

All have been checked. It was checking the fuses earlier that seem to have precipitated the problem. Is there a way to "force reset" the engine ECM?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Soul yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tested the clutch starter safety switch, jumped it with a wire at the plug, car wouldn't turn over. Pulled and reseated each fuse to make certain a good conbtact. Jumped a hot wire from the battery to the starter, and the starter and engine turn-over, but it won't start. Problem seems to have someting to do with the ECM as the dash displays problems with battery, engine, oil, tire sensors, everything. Lights, wipers radio fan all come on and work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Kia
12/18/2017
Kia Mechanic: Jim, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician

One of the fuses that you removed, may have been damaged, check the 10 amp start fuse in the IP fuse box and check the IG2 40 Amp fuse in the JB fuse box.

Both look good, the start fuse I tested for continuity and it was fine. The IG2 look fine, and I didn't remove any of the box type fuses. Is there a way to reset the ecm? Lots of web sites state there is a way, but the stuff I see on You-tube doesn't make sense.

You can try discounting both battery terminals and rub them together, this will reset the computers.