Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Driver's heated seat only heats lower back (lumbar area) but…

Customer Question
Driver's heated seat only...

Driver's heated seat only heats lower back (lumbar area) but not seat bottom area.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

No leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

2015 kia Optima EX

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything. Wasn't sure whether the bottom is supposed to be heated. My next effort was going to look underneath seat to see if there was an electrical connection disengaged.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Kia
12/15/2017
Kia Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

It will require some testing to determine exactly what you have going on. While it's possible that the problem may be within the heated seat module or wiring between it and the seat base element, it's more likely that the element has failed. The problem may be with the actual heating element circuit or it could be an inaccurate temperature sensor inside the element. The best thing to do would be to test the heater element resistance across the terminals for the white/blue and black/blue wires at the seat base element connector, and if it's open then the element has failed.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.