Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

2009 Kia Sorento 4×4 SUV. When driving the headlights and…

Customer Question
2009 Kia Sorento 4×4 SUV...
2009 Kia Sorento 4×4 SUV. When driving the headlights and dash lights will dim then come back. I replaced the alternator. Battery tested ok at Autozone.
Note: After sitting 30+ hours the battery is at 12.47 volts. The inside cigarette lighter only 10.4 volts. Started car and cigarette lighter jumps up to 14.4 Volts. Car starts well and runs well. just the occasional dimming of the lights. So, battery tests ok, Alternator is new and tests ok. Is there another voltage control module??
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Kia
12/12/2017
Kia Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician  replied 2 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

When you have the dimming going on does this happen in conjunction with hitting a bump in the road ?

No, they just dim for a moment then come back to normal.. I worked as a mechanic years ago. like 1970s
Dash lights dim as well
is there a voltage control mod other than the voltage regulator in the alternator?

not for the main power supply, when they do dim do you have your volt meter on the battery monitoring the voltage?

No, I didn't, sorry. What I found odd is at the terminals I had 12.47 when I checked inside, I had about 10 volts. one I started it I had 14 volts at the cigarette lighter... seemed odd
Alternator is new. both alternator and battery tested ok at AutoZone
Dash and head lights only dim for a moment and it intermittent...
Note: alternator tested bad last week, that's the reason I replaced it.

It could be another bad alternator, also sounds like you have a power feed or main ground issue, I would check the grounds on that in the engine compartment , clean and repair them, and them hook up the meter so you can monitor it while your driving to see if you get any fluctuations, I see new parts fail all the time

I'll check the grounds and get back with you.

ok sounds good ill be here

hows it going?

It was a bad battery, it seems one of the cells was shorting. It all taken care of.
Kiatech
Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician