Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

2015 KIA Sorento. Passenger side and both back doors will…

Customer Question
2015 KIA Sorento. Passenger...

2015 KIA Sorento. Passenger side and both back doors will only unlock manually. Neither the key fob nor the driver's door controls will work to unlock anything other than the driver's side door.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

Yes. It will unlock the drivers door and hatch, but not the other doors. Also, the other doors can only be unlocked manually. When I try unlocking from the driver's door there's no actuator noise from the other doors. They will lock however, both from the FOB and the driver's door

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've tried replacing the key FOB battery. Not sure what else to try since it also involves the driver's door controls.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope, that's it. thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Kia
12/11/2017
Kia Mechanic: EricFromCT, Technician replied 4 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Are you clicking the unlock button 2 times to unlock all the doors with the FOB?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am a FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!

clicking the unlock button on the FOB multiple times without success. And, as mentioned, the doors will not unlock when using the unlock button on the driver's door. All doors will lock with both the FOB and the driver's door lock button. Also, the lock on the hatch will both lock and unlock via a FOB without issue.

Ok. I'm going to have to check some service information quick.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Is your car a push button start?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

It's not, have to use the key

Ok. All door lock and unlock function signals are received by the interior fuse box. The interior box then actuates the correct actuators to lock/unlock the doors. There is a fuse labeled DR LOCK in the interior fuse box under the dash. You can check that first and see if you find a blown fuse.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Checked the fuse last night and it look okay. Noticed this morning that all locks can be unlocked from the driver's side door when the key is in the ignition and the car is running. However, as soon as the car is turned off, and the key removed, the only door that will unlock is the driver's door. The other three have to be unlocked manually.
Ok. There is not much that can be done at this point without a dealer scan tool. I will opt out and perhaps another expert has an idea.
Kia Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Are you the original owner? How long has this issue been happening?

goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Purchased used about 2 months ago, the issue with the locks started this past Saturday. There were no problems prior to this. The vehicle has roughly 63,000 miles, so just out of warranty for a used KIA.

Ok just checked the power flow and there is no fuses or relays for individual doors as all the power goes through the master switch on the driver's door. Sometimes the wiring breaks in the wire cord going from the door to body from the flexing of opening and closing the door, so you can check that first. If that checks out I would suspect a faulty master switch.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician