Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

2018 Niro LX. Vehicle seems to loose traction on curves at…

Customer Question
2018 Niro LX....

2018 Niro LX. Vehicle seems to loose traction on curves at 55 - 65 mph. Sensation is like hitting a sheet of ice. Sometimes happens when driving 35 - 45

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your LX?

2018

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LX yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've taken it back to the dealer. They say nothing is wrong with the car. That I need to get used to electronic steering. Been driving for 60 years and never had a vehicle give me this sensation

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fluids?

I presumed the dealer did that, but if not, what fluids are you talking about?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, thought it might be the tires. Went to a tire store and they said that the Michelins on the car are fine

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Kia
Any progress on answering the question?

Heading out soon. Responses should be sent to **********. Thanks

Answered in 2 days by:
12/10/2017
Kia Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

The first thing I'd do is take the car to a place that does 4 wheel suspension alignment, most places use the back wheels as a datum and assume that they are perfectly straight and true. Often this is not the case and many modern cars are now adjustable at the rear as well as the front.

A 4 wheel alignment measures all four wheels independently and each is set -up without referring to each other.

if this is out then it can make the vehicle feel very 'nervous' as you describe

and a simple thing but I'm assuming that the tyre pressures have been checked? might be worth trying a a few psi less than the maximum to see how this effects things

also check that if tyres have been fitted that are directional ( there will be an arrow on the side) ensure that all 4 are fitted correctly so the rotation arrow is in the right direction

Thanks. We follow up re your recommendations. Tire pressure has been checked

Ok

let me know what you find about the alignment

I'd also say to check the tyre sidewalls for any signs of damage / blistering as this would also lead to instabilty

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt