Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I bought a used 2012 Kia Sorento yesterday. It should have…

Customer Question
I bought a used...

I bought a used 2012 Kia Sorento yesterday. It should have been a red flag for me that I received four remotes, “hitting the jackpot”.
None of them work, so the car cannot be locked by remote. I suspect it is not a battery issue. I will purchase some batteries today, just to check. Kia says there is only room for 2 connected remotes anyway, why wouold there be four unless something else is going on.
When pushing the lock button on the door manually, all the other doors lock, but the driver door clicks back to the unlock position. The only way to lock it is manually by key outside.
To top this off, the car would not start this morning and I had to jump it. Disappointing and troublesome.
I did not leave anything on, although the car radio must be turned off manually when you stop the car and remove the key, this does not seem standard.
The clock also stays illuminated, which would be a small drain. Not sure if it is supposed to.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

All good there. drives fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Kia
12/7/2017
Kia Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 4 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Hey how are you , I will try to help,you with this issue
Here ,sounds the anti theft and locking system has issue and draining batteries overnight and not allowing the remotes to works, and yes factory do,es with 2 remotes and a valet not 4 remotes you are correct , unfortunately we need a scanner to read the Kia alarm and keyless module but get batteries and we go from there,please let me know

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Hey how are you

Just checking on you to see if you got the issue resolved or you like additional assistance on it ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat