Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I have a 2006 kia spectra SX that two day ago was leaking…

Customer Question
I have a 2006 kia...
I have a 2006 kia spectra SX that two day ago was leaking engine oil, it looks like is coming from where the block and the head meet right in front of of the elbow cooling hose coming from the thermostat and rurns along the engine. I turn the car on yesterday but there is no oil leak anymore drove it for ten minutes and still no leak. Any idea what could it be?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Kia
12/7/2017
Kia Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician  replied 4 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Was there a noticeable puddle under the vehicle?

I checked the oil level and it was almost half a quart low
there is no trouble codes check engine light is off

have you had a oil change recently? you say the leak has stopped now?

No oil changes recently and seems like the leak stopped but I do not want to drive it until I find out what happened also my son said the engine was knocking when driving at the time it leaked.
I am looking at the service manual and the leaking area is called "oil control valve filter" and right below it is where oil spot is
I'd say it is a 14 mm bolt size head with a 10 mm bolt below the body

can you send a picture of it?

Did you get the picture

I did not

I couldn't send it over the phone because the file is too large, so I hook up my phone to my PC clicked on + add a file found the picture clicked on it then open and started to upload by itself what else can I do?
The send button on my PC is not highlighted any more and I can't use it neither can't upload another pocture

well this is a conundrum, im thinking what else you could do

I can send the picture to an email

thats also a problem because im only allowed to conduct business on here, maybe try lowering the pixels in your settings and take another one,

OK I think I can do that

I sure did, be right back I have a few theories I need to look up

in relation to the engine where is that picture taken? can you send a expanded pic too? I also notice that bolt in the bottom of the pic looks loose have you checked that yet?

so all the usual places look pretty dry to me, If it were me I would fill it back up and pressure wash the engine off, and just monitor it every day for any leaks.

The oil came through somewhere so there's nothing you can think could be the problem

from the location looks like a leaky valve cover or head gasket, there is also a oil temp sensor close but it looks like its more so from the first 2 listed, if you have a clean surface when it leaks again you will be able to tell where it is coming from, they also may a universal dye you can put in the oil that will show smaller leaks with a uv light

hows it coming?

Kia Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician  replied 3 months ago

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. I would like to receive nothing less than a 5 star rating. If you feel we aren’t there yet please let me know or respond more so we can get the answer you feel is correct. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician