Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Kiatech, The engine on my 2008 kia sportage overheated to…

Customer Question
Hi Kiatech, The engine on...
Hi Kiatech, The engine on my 2008 kia sportage overheated to the point where the sensors on the were destroyed and 1 of the pistons had a 1" melt away at the top. After changing the engine, it won't start due to no spark at the plug. The coil pack checked ok. Its just not getting power. please help.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Kia
12/7/2017
Kia Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

can you tell me if the crank sensor was moved over from the old engine ? as to get no spark then check that there's power to the coil pack using a meter. If there’s 12V at the pack but no spark then check the ECU power supply (fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor.

the sensor may have to be replaced if everything else checks out

and also check the state of the cam sensor wiring / connection too

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer