Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Got an 03 spectra eating my lunch. p0340 - 4th cam position…

Customer Question
Got an 03 spectra...

Got an 03 spectra eating my lunch. p0340 - 4th cam position sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

The camshaft position sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Spectra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Owner/operator El Camino Smog & Repair.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

4 cam sensors. the sensor is not being triggered by the cam. i can trigger it by unbolting and using a screwdriver to interrupt the field and the signal gets pulled to ground. working with kia in Korea to get info on what the interrupter looks like.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Kia
12/5/2017
Kia Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing to check for here is to make sure all wiring and terminals are tight and clean running to and at the cam sensor itself.This can cause signal issues.

If this is o.k. then the cam needs checked to see if it is walking back and forth in the engine causing a poor signal issue.I have seen the cam or reluctor ring work back and forth causing this fault due to poor built of the ring or cam or worn bearings in some cases.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Finally, someone acknowledges that a reluctor ring exists on the back of the exhaust camshaft to make a square wave (signal) come out of the sensor. Kia N. America has no clue what I'm asking for. even bought an exhaust cam in the bag and in the box online and there no RING on it. The back of said cam has a dowell pin orbiting around a non-threaded hole. No sign of the ring.
Can you get a P/N or a pic of it of sell me one? Already fell off my Whit's End long ago.
Best. Arne.

I apologize for the delay.

I am not seeing an actual ring on this models engine.The sensor looks to read right from the cam itself.If the cam is walking back and forth with play then it can cause this fault here so check for any head damage or cam damage causing this issue or bearing wear.If this was already checked and found o.k. let me know.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

jpeg back of exhaust cam (sent by the customer service on your email address)
Please call me to discuss the square wave on my DSO is gone now.
Best.

Unfortunately, I didn't receive an image here or from customer service.Can you re send it again possibly?

Let me know, thanks, Pete.

Pete, Technician