Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

My Kia Rio 2005 doesn’t start up and the immo light is on.

Customer Question
My Kia Rio 2005...

My Kia Rio 2005 doesn’t start up and the immo light is on

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Engine check and IMMO

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Rio yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I have used different key but still same error

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think immo unit doesn’t let the car start

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Kia
12/3/2017
Kia Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the immobilizer light is on and you've used a second key then the problem could be the immobilizer module itself or the problem may be related to the engine controller. If the light is staying on solid that should mean there is a module related issue, if it's flashing it indicates the key has not been validated.

If the light is staying on solid then odds are the immobilizer module has failed or it isn't able to communicate with the engine controller due to a loss of power or ground or internal ECM failure. If fuses are good and a battery disconnect doesn't change anything then a scan tool will need to be used to see if the ECM and immobilizer communicate and if so what fault codes are stored, and then testing can be done from there.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

The lights are flashing
Did both keys work correctly and both stopped at exactly the same time?
I was putting new alarm system after that I tried to start it didn’t start
An alarm or a remote start?
Remote start
Alarm

Did you tamper with the immobilizer components?

I took the connection out
fit it back

What connection and for what reason? Please post all relevant details.

For bypass connection

Please post all relevant details as I am not there to diagnose the problem in person and don't have a way of knowing what was done. If everything is plugged in correctly then you've either damaged something or the remote start is causing the problem but I need to know exactly what you've done.