Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

2009 Kia Rondo p2422. Changed and tested the Vent valve

Customer Question
opens with 12V. Changed the...
2009 Kia Rondo p2422. Changed and tested the Vent valve opens with 12V. Changed the Purge valve. Tested holds under vacuum. Cleared the code and it comes back after a few minutes. Any idea?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Kia
12/3/2017
Kia Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Have you done these tests? https://www.dropbox.com/s/ly6hss03dv8mrz8/2422.pdf?dl=0

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

I have the factory manual and have gone through the Vent valve inspection and tests. I've checked the air filter for the vent and it's free and clear. I've tested the vent valve opens nice. Only thing I was thinking is the vacumm sensor at the top of the tank is obviously reading a high vacuum. This car is well kept and there are no visible issues. If the tank vacuum is getting too high what about a clogged gas cap (I've already taken one off another kia and switched it and the other car has no fault code. So the cap is not the issue) I'm wondering if the tank prusure sensor is out of range. Problem is I have the same website software you used to dump the pages and either the English is bad or I'm not getting some of the terminology. Where on that page does it show how the normal resistance for the sensor so I can meter? And both the air filter and the vent valve are operational so I'm missing something here. I want to feel or check the vent valve opening. When should this happen on the KIA? When the car is turned on?

Since you have all of the same steps I sent and you did all of those tests and the concern remains then I do not believe I can provide anything else being I too would follow these steps to diagnose the concern. I will opt out so another can try.

Thanks for the shot. Maybe someone has seen this before and I'll luck out on something I'm missing. Thanks for your help.
Kia Mechanic: Dan, ASE Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, ASE Master Technician

Do you have a scan tool that can read live data of the fuel tank pressure sensor?

Not curently, is there a way to use a meter to read resistance ir voltage while running? Should iremove and clean the opening in the sensor? Since this is the only sensor ihaven't replaced yet woukd you swap it, as it is the most likely cause of the issue?

I have never tried as I always have access to a scan tool to read the data. If the fuel tank pressure sensor was faulty this should set a separate code. I have a friend who is actually a Kia master tech and is currently working for a Kia dealer. I will ask him tomorrow for you about this.

Thanks. I'll ask my buddy ithink he has the more advanced tool. But if your friend has any ideas. Ican fue the vent valve no issues. Opens great, and i can pull clean air through the filter no issue. Loom looks good no corrosion. I've already swapped gas cap, and the new purge and vent valves are bosche so good quaility. No rush, just need to pass emissions in a few weeks.

was the canister close valve replaced?

Do you mean the vent valve at the back of the car connected to a filter in a box? Yes it is brand new and opens perfect under 12v. I've pulled air through the filter to verify air flow is fine. The purge valve is also new in the engine bay. I've pulled air through it with car off and it holds vacumm. I turned car on and the valve opened and you can pull air through it. This is why the only other part that could be reporting incorrect vacuum is the tank vacuum sensor. Am i correct?

Have you checked the wiring for continuity to the canister close valve? Here is the location of the CCV.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rd3kx7rv7ii1krj/ccv%20pins.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ddximuqwjv64fsr/ccv%20loc.pdf?dl=0

The plug looks clean. I'll meter it tonight to see if pin 2 grounds out at any point. When does the CCV open at start? During running? I'm guessing as the vacuum build in the tank due to fuel draw the valve opens to let air in correct?

The evaporative emission control system prevents hydrocarbon (HC) vapors in the fuel tank from escaping into the atmosphere, where they could form photochemical smog. Gasoline vapors are collected in the charcoal canister. The PCM controls the Purge Control Solenoid Valve (PCSV) to purge any collected vapors from the canister back to the engine for combustion. This valve is actuated by the purge control signal from the PCM, and controls fuel vapor flow from the canister to the intake manifold.

Hi there, I've given up. I've tried everything. The Purge valve moves fine and works when you turn the car on. Maybe the canister is at fault. I'll have to bring it in and pay $1000 to some goof that will do the same testing I will. Thanks for your help. But I need to cancel this question. Thanks again have a good Christmas.