Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

My car alarm keeps going off at random times for no reason.

Customer Question
My car alarm keeps...

My car alarm keeps going off at random times for no reason. My Kia dealer is stumped as to why? Any help?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?

Can I ask why?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

2014 Forte

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forte yourself? What have you tried so far?

Kia is fixing. So far: replaced batteries in fob. Reprogramming of fobs, replaced hood alarm sensor.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Kia
If the alarm can’t be fixed, how do I permanently disable the alarm but not lose my horn function while driving?
11/30/2017
Kia Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** would be happy to assist you with this.

What you are describing sounds to me like a possible door latch issue. I've seen a few of these that would set the car alarm intermittently, come to find out it was a bad door latch each time, the latch would suddenly open and the car sees that as a theft attempt and sets the alarm.

In order to diagnose this it would need a scantool hooked up and set to watch/save the alarm data, that way when it triggers it will show you which sensor set it off.

Unfortunately there is no way to bypass the alarm on these, as it is tied in with the keys and fobs. If you try to bypass it then the theft system will inhibit operations of the vehicle.

If your dealer is unable to find it then I would recommend taking it somewhere else to get a second opinion, it sounds like they just may not be looking deep enough into it