Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

After sitting for about 2 months I drove the car there

Customer Question
After sitting for about...

After sitting for about 2 months I drove the car there myself when you put the key in the switch you can't turn the key the steering wheel is locked I've jeer

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?

Yes both constant pressure and back and forth motion

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

06 kia spectra 5

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Spectra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes trYing to fix it . This is new to me never had this happen before I've pulled the steeringredients wheel back and fourth and put constant pressure on it to the right and left even jacked the front wheels off the ground thought it was in a bind I'm lout as what to do now

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It was fine when I parked it .

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Kia
Cool I'm waiting just let me know my next step on unlocking the mechanism so the key will turn in the switch I have both keys they will lock and unlock the doors it acts like it's the wrong key but I know is correct
12/1/2017
Kia Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the steering column isn't locked in a way that it's binding the linkage in the column then this is most likely being caused by a stuck tumbler in the lock cylinder. The permanent repair would be to replace the lock cylinder but you may be able to get the key to turn again temporarily.

Spray some penetrating oil directly into the lock cylinder. Insert the key and run it in and out quickly several times, repeat the process.

Then insert the key fully and give it a few good taps on the end. This will often jar loose a stuck tumbler.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.