Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I have an Optima 2013 with around 100k/km on it and my

Customer Question
Hi, I have an...

Hi, I have an Optima 2013 with around 100k/km on it and my anti-skid system is really acting up, most likely way way way to sensitive!! what should i do

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to walk you through that for your Kia Optima. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

No thats all

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Kia
11/29/2017
Kia Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Kia Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

Does the anti skid light stay on all the time or when driving at high speed?

it starts on any wet surface and if one wheel hits a bump during acceleration
its not always on
Kia Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

Do you also feel any play or vibration in your steering wheel?

I used to but i had the car balanced and now its very good, but when the anti-skid system turns on, the car tends to be very jumpy and loss of traction
Kia Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

Did you check the codes when the malfunction lights come on?

there is no code...and its not a malfunction as per say, i believe it is simply too sensitive... i had the same system on other sedans car category in the past and never have i had such sensitivity with that particular system on those other cars
Kia Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

Ok, since no malfunction light comes on that means that no electronic components are malfunctioning. This vehicle is equipped with electronic steering assist motor and will definately be more sensitive than other models.

no no you don't understand...i had cars with the same exact system and i never had that issue...it is sometimes dangerous as the loss of traction would happen in a curve or at an intersection which could lead to an accident, the car is jumpy on wet surface and i'm about to get the canadian winter with icy roads
Its not safe, so what is the solution
Kia Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

Have you checked the steering and suspension components for any signs of wear? Are tires are in good shape and all four same size?

Tires are new from this summer, the brakes, pads and discs have been changed two weeks ago, the car balanced and aligned.
What is there to do? the car needs to be plugged in on a computer to assess the problem?
Kia Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

Since the suspension and tires are in good shape and no malfunction light is on. The next step is to drive the vehicle with a compatible scan tool and reproduce the symptom. The data presented on the scan tool will show which component malfunctions at the time of fault.

ok so I should have just checked in a kia dealer and ask for that ?
I'm paying 27$ for that?
Kia Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

I will opt out and let another expert assist you. Good luck with your vehicle.

Kia Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a suggestion.

at this time I am not asking you to rate me as I am agreeing with the prior expert as no codes or lights on there is no place to start diagnosing so the next logical step is to run a shop scanner and read live data along with wheel sensor graphs as this will pick up any abnormalities in the system that may not trigger fault codes. There is no TSB's or recalls as of yet on your issue so these are the logical steps to find your problem , so I wish you good luck with your vehicle.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/abs-wheel-speed-sensor-test

this is if you wish to check yourself without the use of a scanner.

thank you i will check
by the way it is not the ABS system but the anti skid system
Kiatech
Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician