Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

I have an Optima 2013 with around 100k/km on it and my

Customer Question

Hi, I have an Optima 2013 with around 100k/km on it and my anti-skid system is really acting up, most likely way way way to sensitive!! what should i do
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to walk you through that for your Kia Optima. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: no thats all
Category: Kia
Expert:  Gunvir Singh replied 11 months ago.

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Does the anti skid light stay on all the time or when driving at high speed?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it starts on any wet surface and if one wheel hits a bump during acceleration
its not always on

Do you also feel any play or vibration in your steering wheel?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I used to but i had the car balanced and now its very good, but when the anti-skid system turns on, the car tends to be very jumpy and loss of traction

Did you check the codes when the malfunction lights come on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
there is no code...and its not a malfunction as per say, i believe it is simply too sensitive... i had the same system on other sedans car category in the past and never have i had such sensitivity with that particular system on those other cars

Ok, since no malfunction light comes on that means that no electronic components are malfunctioning. This vehicle is equipped with electronic steering assist motor and will definately be more sensitive than other models.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no no you don't understand...i had cars with the same exact system and i never had that issue...it is sometimes dangerous as the loss of traction would happen in a curve or at an intersection which could lead to an accident, the car is jumpy on wet surface and i'm about to get the canadian winter with icy roads
Its not safe, so what is the solution

Have you checked the steering and suspension components for any signs of wear? Are tires are in good shape and all four same size?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tires are new from this summer, the brakes, pads and discs have been changed two weeks ago, the car balanced and aligned.
What is there to do? the car needs to be plugged in on a computer to assess the problem?

Since the suspension and tires are in good shape and no malfunction light is on. The next step is to drive the vehicle with a compatible scan tool and reproduce the symptom. The data presented on the scan tool will show which component malfunctions at the time of fault.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok so I should have just checked in a kia dealer and ask for that ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm paying 27$ for that?

I will opt out and let another expert assist you. Good luck with your vehicle.

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a suggestion.

at this time I am not asking you to rate me as I am agreeing with the prior expert as no codes or lights on there is no place to start diagnosing so the next logical step is to run a shop scanner and read live data along with wheel sensor graphs as this will pick up any abnormalities in the system that may not trigger fault codes. There is no TSB's or recalls as of yet on your issue so these are the logical steps to find your problem , so I wish you good luck with your vehicle.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/abs-wheel-speed-sensor-test

this is if you wish to check yourself without the use of a scanner.

this is what I was talking about the sensor bar graphs.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thank you i will check
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
by the way it is not the ABS system but the anti skid system