Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

My ac/heater fan stops blowing. Seems to be heat related.

Customer Question
My ac/heater fan stops...

My ac/heater fan stops blowing. Seems to be heat related. Will come on in the morning not in the afternoon.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

Coolant is fine. This is the fan that blows cold air into the cabin.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

2007 Rondo

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Rondo yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have checked all fuses.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The air when it comes on is very cold.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Kia
11/27/2017
Kia Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the air flow still coming out but the temp is stuck on cold or are you having an issue with no air flow out of any vent or heater or defrost position no matter what the temp setting is on?

Let me know so we can continue, thanks, Pete.

The temps are fine. If I have it on cold it is cold. If I have it on heat the air is heated. The problem is when it stops there is no air flow at all.

Have you tested any electrical signals to the blower fan motor at all with this issue when this fault occurs with a test light or multi meter?

I have not done that.

O.k., is this a 4 cylinder or V6 engine in your model?

Do you have the manual heater and ac controls or AUTO with the AUTO temp settings?

Let me know, thanks Pete

6 cyl - manual control

Is it acting up right now and do you have a multi meter or test light to test electrical at all?

I'm at the car with a meter.

O.k.,is it acting up right now at all?

The fan is not running but is in the high position

O.k.,can you locate the blower motor or do you need help locating it?

I have it located

O.k., the first thing to do is tap on it.If it starts to run then the blower motor itself needs to be replaced.If it does not then locate the two wires connected to it.One wire should have a ground signal at all times key on or off.The other wire should have around 12 volts DC/power with the fan on high and key on.If you have both of these signals at the blower motor then the blower motor needs replaced.If you are missing either the power or ground signal let me know which one is missing so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

One wire had over 14 volts the other wire had 2 volts and the blower would not come on by tapping it.

Were you testing between the 2 wires with the power part of the meter on one wire and the ground lead on the other wire?

No. Had the ground to ground

O.k.,test between the two wires and see if you show any voltage then and let me know.

There is no voltage when testing between the wres

O.k., so you're missing the ground signal.Ths signal comes from the blower motor resistor.This resistor is located on the side of the heater box as shown below as #11.The heater/ac control assembly sends a signal to this resistor to control the blower fan, when the resistor fails it causes this issue here with it needing replaced.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dzrmcbf7d5xqb6v/re-11-27.png?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician