Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Are there any kia certified techs online that are familiar…

Customer Question
Are there any kia...

Are there any kia certified techs online that are familiar with abs brakes on a 06 spectra sx?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? And have the brakes been squeaking?

I replaced the master, rotors, and pads, fully bled the system. when i did the second round of bleeding, I lost pressure to the front driver's caliper, which I had on the first round of bleeding

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Spectra yourself? What have you tried so far?

This is automated isn't it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Kia
11/26/2017
Kia Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Tech replied 4 months ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech

Hello, May I ask why you changed the master cylinder? what problems were you having to warrant that? just trying to get all the information and may have a couple more questions

Dad's car had a bad master, we though. As you pushed down, it would bleed off pressure. Anticipating the master was most obvious, we got a set of rotors, pads, master, and a couple liters of brake fluid. I'm pretty decent at bleeding brakes, did back passenger, back driver, front pass, front driver. Had dad pump while I bled them. Getting a super great pedal. Good bit of air had come out of the back lines, I bench bled the master, but still I wasn't surprised that some air got into the lines as I disconnected them when installing the new cylinder. All calipers were pushing out good at this point. I wanted to do one more round because I've found that sometimes you'll get a tiny air bubble in a line that gets hung up in a y fitting somewhere, so I did. I guess I should note that I didn't realize the abs system was putting one line to each wheel, with no y fittings. In any event, when I got to the last caliper, the front driver side, I found that it was no longer pushing fluid out. I checked the hose, and it isn't getting any pressure either. I guess at this point, I need to loosen the valve at the abs pump going to the front driver's side wheel, and see if any fluid comes out? Is it worth activating ABS by getting some speed up and jamming the brakes?

thanks for the details. I will send information back to you in couple minutes

Kia does not require any special bleed for ABS, It is a standard bleed procedure in the order you did. I am unsure why the lack of operation at one wheel but .. what we generally do in the shop as it is foolproof, is gravity bleed. It does take a bit longer but possible you can do a gravity bleed and then LMk what happens? do you know how to gravity bleed? I will gladly explain if need. try that if you know how and get back with me. Thanks

well for gravity bleed since I'm having an issue with the drivers front, I would simply take that nut off and come back and check it in an hour, right?
by nut, I mean bleeder screw.

you remove the master cylinder cap. leave it OFF. you really should do all wheels in order, Yes, open bleeder with cap OFF, wait till it drips, then after it drips? let it drip for say 10 min. Lock off bleeder, then go to next wheel. Always keep eye on fluid level and not let go low. This is the proper way to bleed these and really feel it will work in your case

Okay, I'll give it a shot. will let you know.

I think a spool valve in the abs unit got off center, Kind of a reason why we use gravity bleed most often in the shop. Yes, keep me in the loop. thanks

Will the gravity bleed undo whatever happened inside, or will I need to do something else to the ABS module?

you will not need to do anything abs wise. I want to rebleed with my procedure and once done, pump pedal and get on the road and keep braking and all should be ok.hate to have to go abs direction, rare for that to happen

Okay. I'll start it now. I'm surprised the method works, due to the abs module being kind of close in height to the master cylinder and stuff. Fingers crossed!

ok

Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech