Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Press the start button and won't start. Had it checked out…

Customer Question
Press the start button...

Press the start button and won't start. Had it checked out and they said it was the alternator. Replaced still having trouble starting. Have to try almost 10 times.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

They are clean. Has good charge. After pressing the start button if I wait. It shows a green light and the seat adjust. Then sometimes it starts.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Kia?

2012 Kia Optima

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes just replaced the alternator

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can pull the cover off the relay for the starter and get it to start that way too.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Kia
11/25/2017
Kia Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 7 months ago
eric remington

what is the battery voltage reading at present?

12.4 Think it might be the brake sensor.
Kia Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 7 months ago

I​s the brake lights staying on?

Kia Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 7 months ago

I​f brake lights stay on then either the switch is out of adjustment or its just bad...get a small screwdriver and flashlight and see if you can push in on switch sometimes there is another problem...called the stop

No they are not staying on.
Kia Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 7 months ago

1​2.4 can you do some masurements at the places I recommended? so nothing lights up on dash?

Kia Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 7 months ago

why do you think you have problem with sensor

Everything lights up. Seat moves and start light is green. Press button several times nothing happens. Maybe 10 tries and it might start
Kia Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 7 months ago

ok lets ck those readings if you have a voltage drop that can cause this...I have been a mechanic for over 30 years

Kia Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 7 months ago

do you understand how to ck the readings?