Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

The battery dies, it looks like there is a draw in the Room…

Customer Question
The battery dies, it...

The battery dies, it looks like there is a draw in the Room 15A should I get a new battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

The does have a drain and that fuse has 220 when you pull it out it goes back to 0

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

2009 Spectra

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Spectra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Jumping the battery, took to mechanic can't find the issue

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Kia
11/25/2017
Kia Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 7 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you ,I will try to help you with this issue

well do not get a new battery until we fix the drain , now you say 220 what , milliamps,

the fuse that is draining ,if you measure using the method below ,what does it read

are you waiting few minutes before any measurement ,even if the dome light is off, the bcm module will stay woke for few minutes you close door and take key out

how long the battery it takes to drain

Battery Drainage Test

1- Voltmeter
2- settings on voltmeter will be on milli amps.
3- go across all the fuses in the car and see which one is reading higher than 0.3 to 0.5 milli amps
4- the fuse drawing more than 0.5 miili amps ,will be the suspected circuit that needs inspection for the drainage.

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Figured it was the room 15a Fuse that has something on it that is the draw, if this fuse is in place the battery is dead overnight, if pulled out it will start in the morning. Controls lots of different things I assume, how do I find out what it is, the mechanic I took it to twice they don't know so I have to figure this out to see if they can fix

The dome light is controlled by the bcm , most likely the bcm is draining it but testing needed , like check the connector pins when you unplugged for any melting or damage , unplug the bcm over night and leave fuse in and see if the battery drains overnight

I sent you location and removal procedure for your review ,CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW PDF FILES WITH LOCATION OF BCM AND R &R

be best if u had a kia capable scanner but i understand you do not so is the next best thing if you trying ur self ,at leask u can narrow it down

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat