Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

My Kia in recent weeks hasn't started on 2 occasions, the

Hey, my Kia in recent...
Hey, my Kia in recent weeks hasn't started on 2 occasions, the battery level is fine and it wasn't after leaving any headlights/interior lights on either. Wondering if you might know what else it could be?
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?
Customer: Yeah, doesn't seem to explain why it would happen either, my only assumption would be something wrong with the starter circuit but I'm not sure how to check?
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 2014 Kia Optima
JA: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nah, it's a bit beyond my scope, not sure if this is something a regular mechanic would be able to fix or if I'm better taking it to an Auto Electrician?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of :)
11/22/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Is this a push button start?

Does it make any noise when you try to start it? Either rapid clicking or a single click from the engine compartment?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Hi Mike, not a push start, yeah it will make a rapid clicking

Ok

Rapid clicking does indicate there is a power issue from the battery. This could be a loose connection or a dirty connection at the starter. Seems to new to have a major issue, but sometimes the starter will do this if it's failing. What should be done is the battery cables should be inspected and the connections on both ends cleaned and reset.

Then, if the issue continues,then the starter will have to be tested.

The problem will be actually seeing that is the problem. Because when the starter is working, it will test 100% fine, so it will have to be doing this for the shop. Any shop could do this for you, doesn't have to be the dealer. Sounds more like a bad connection then the starter, but sometimes when they fail they can make the rapid clicking sounds.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Not a problem, thank you for that Mike.

You are very welcome and thank you for the rating!

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician