Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

My 2009 Kia spectra started this morning when I was warming…

Customer Question
Good morning. My...

Good morning. My 2009 Kia spectra started this morning when I was warming it up. I came back downstairs it was dead. I tried to start it back up, it was trying to rev up and then stopped. I just replaced the battery myself two days ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes. I just changed the battery two days ago and have been driving it since.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Spectra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just changed the battery and I would like to see if I can take care of it myself, considering it's Thanksgiving tomorrow and most people aren't available

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes. yesterday, the brake light and the battery light were on, but the car was definitely running the whole day yesterday.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Kia
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/22/2017
Kia Mechanic: EricFromCT, Technician replied 8 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician
Hi. This sounds like you could have a faulty fuel pump? Have you checked for fuel at the engine or tries some starting fluid to see if it will attempt to run?
Fuel pump?
that is what I am thinking may have failed.
Is that why it cranks, but it does not do anything? Also, is it something I can repair myself?
That could be the reason why it will crank and not start. If that is the problem you can replace the fuel pump yourself through an accessible hole under the rear seat.
What would I need to buy and do to replace the fuel pump? I imagine that this might be a difficult task.
Do I need to cut a hole under my car seat?

YOu would need to buy the fuel pump assembly. There is an access hole under the seat for the fuel pump. You do not need to cut any holes. The fuel pump is a fairly easy job. It is no that difficult.

Hi. DO you have any more questions on replacing your fuel pump?

Hi,Thank you for your response. Since I had not heard from you over the allotted time, I ended up replacing the fuel pump, with relative success. The car still did not start and by Friday, I ended up taking the battery to be tested and it was a bad battery. I replaced the battery and the car still would not start. I took the car to Meineke and they told me that the memory was wiped out and they had to reprogram. After reprogramming it, the fuel pump was still not taking in as much as it needed to and they are checking if there is a blockage (getting in 40 psi, should be 50 psi). I won't have my car back until Monday.

If you have 40 psi and if the spec is 50 psi the car will still start and run. How many miles are on it and when was the timing belt last replaced?