Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Air and ac air only coming out from the defrost vent. No i…

Air and ac air...

Air and ac air only coming out from the defrost vent

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

No i have not..

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

Optima 2010

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced cabin filter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The problem started at random

11/21/2017
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Kia Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Does your vehicle have an Auto Temp Control system?

Great! Thank-you! Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Sorry the year is 2013

Thanks for holding!

When the air flow output will not change directions, this is more commonly due to a faulty Mode Door Actuator. This is a small servo motor that turns the door internal of the HVAC system to direct the air flow to the desired output. The mode actuator is located behind the center/driver's side of the dash, mounted to the HVAC housing. To gain access, remove the driver's side lower panel and work upwards on an angle to the center dash. Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the inspection is ok, remove the actuator and turn the door pin by hand. The output should now change directions. If not, the problem lies internal of the HVAC housing. It will need to be removed from the vehicle and repaired/replaced as needed. Like I say though, more commonly here is the actuator itself. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

For the 2013 Optima- Same answer as above. But, to gain access, the driver's side lower crash panel, heater duct and Body Control Module will need to first be removed. Still working upwards towards the center.

Thank you,, any recommendation on schamatic links

I can provide you the repair manual procedure. To do so, I would need to send a Premium Service Offer. If you'd like the procedure, click the Accept button. If you do not want the procedure, please remember to leave a rating for our Q&A using the stars at the top of the page!

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Kia Tech -

Thank-you! You can download the repair manual procedure here: https://goo.gl/RBuEV4