Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

2014 kia rio ex, 15,000 mi. very slow to come up to

2014 kia rio ex...
2014 kia rio ex , 15,000 mi. very slow to come up to operating temperature. Thermostat working but very slow to operating temp.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?
Customer: as stated, 15,000 mi. changed thermostat, coolant level perfect.
JA: Are you fixing your Rio yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes looking at rio myself. When at idle cooling fans not on, thermostat new (185 degree), coolant level ok, no air in system( vacuum refill), at 36 degrees outside temp. takes 5+ min to come up to operating temp.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: bought vehicle with slight ft. end damage. fixed with oem kia parts. collision shop owner for over 40 years
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is this something you are seeing with the temperature gauge on the dash or do you have no heat or was the temp tested/checked with a temp probe?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
at this point just looking at the gauge and the fact there is little heat until the thermostat opens. gauge will read below halfway after the thermostat opens and seems to heat ok. No cooling fans until you shift control to defrost. very slow to warm up to operating temperature. Located in western NY and it is only going to get colder! thanks for your time, Dennis
P/S ; Kia dealer ran vin. for me and could find no TSB that was relavant.

O.k.,if the gauge is reading below half way and the thermostat is opening the gauge should be at half way at this point when it opens.This can indicate a fault with the engine coolant temp sensor sending a false signal with the sensor needing replaced.I have seen the temp sensor fail in the past before causing this fault here.It will cause the gauge to read incorrectly as well as can cause the computer to operate the engine incorrectly in some cases causing more fuel consumption.Also the heating system can use the temp sensor signal to operate the heat properly as well on these newer models.

If you have not had the engine coolant temp sensor signal checked/tested this needs to be done to see if you have a faulty temp sensor needing replaced.I suspect this will be the cause.This is tested with a multi meter to test the resistance of it.Using the scale below the resistance of the sensor should be matched with the actual engine temp.

http://www.advindsys.com/ApNotes/YSI400SeriesProbesRvsT.htm

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician
Pete, Technician