Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

I got P0420. 2007 Sedona LX. I'm trying to identified if…

I got P0420 Mechanic's...

I got P0420

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

2007 Sedona LX

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sedona yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm trying to identified if bank 1 is in the front of the engine (near to radiator) or is in the back (near to fire wall)

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

It has 119500 and is Automatic

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What do you think? Is the catalytic converter or the oxygen sensor?

11/20/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Bank 1 is the bank which the #1 cylinder is on, in this case, the bank at rear, facing the firewall.

With the P0420, you check for exhaust leaks, then if you have a scan tool with live data, check that the O2 sensor voltage readings are changing. If it stays flat, replace the O2 sensor.

If no exhaust leaks and O2 sensor readings are switching, then replace the catalytic converter

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

what place do you recommended me to carry on the kia? Near 55306
Where I can drive the Kia to be checked?

HI,

For this, either Meineke or Midas as they have specialized in exhaust for decades.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager