Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

2002 sometimes hard to start after it's been running,

2002 sometimes hard to...

2002 sometimes hard to start after it's been running, sometimes just dies, then will start again

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes to both

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Kia?

Sportage 2 wd

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sportage yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet

11/18/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Is the check engine light on when its running?

no
hello?

Ok

This sounds like a possible issue with the mass air flow sensor. If it's having a hard time starting, try unplugging the maf sensor and see if there is any improvement. This will make the light come on, but it will go out when you plug it back in. If it starts without a problem, then replace the maf sensor.

You could also have something going on with the catalytic converter. If it's plugging up when it gets hot it will cause this issue as well. If the maf sensor test doesn't help, then try taking out the front O2 sensor before the converter and see if it helps.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Technician