Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

My 2012 kia rio cranks but doesn't turn over. I replaced the

hello, my 2012 kia rio...
hello, my 2012 kia rio cranks but doesn't turn over. I replaced the starter and now it starts but not on the first try. Usually takes a few tries.
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: No. I had a friend run a test on it and it gave him a code that said its my knock sensor. but I don't see how that would not let my car start.
JA: Are you fixing your Rio yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, Im not working on it myself. I will be bringing it back to my mechanic that replaced the starter.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no. thank you.
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

I would check the fuel pressure. Usually when you have issues like this it's because the fuel is running back into the tank instead of keeping pressure up at the fuel rail. The knock sensor will not affect the engine starting at all. So, I would start with the fuel pressure. If the pressure is good, then you might have an issue with the mass air flow sensor IF this car uses one. Some models do and some don't. If it has one, try unplugging it before you go to start the car and see if it fires right up.

If it does, replace the maf sensor.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician