Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

My 2011 Kia Sedona makes a whining noise whenever I’m

turning and is worse in...
My 2011 Kia Sedona makes a whining noise whenever I’m turning and is worse in the morning
JA: Are you fixing your Sedona yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven’t tried anything yet. I will be fixing it myself. My brother in law suggested replacing the pulley?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
11/17/2017
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Kia Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Just to make sure I am clear- you do not hear the noise while driving straight, at any speed? The noise only occurs on turns?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Correct

OK. Great. Thank-you. Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

Ok. From what you are describing here, it sounds like the problem is goin g to lie in the power steering pump. There is a "known issue" on these vehicles, and Kia has issued a Technical Service Bulletin that states the common cause for this is the filter screen in the power steering reservoir for contamination. If the filter screen has debris the fluid will be restricted from supplying the power steering pump and may cause the fluid to aerate and cause a whine noise. So, my advice here would be to drain the power steering fluid and inspect the screen. If the screen is clogged, this is what damaged the pump. The pump and the reservoir will need to be replaced (because the filter screen is not replaceable by itself). Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Kia Tech -
Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Kia Tech -