Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

I was driving my car this sunday; heard a funny sound then…

I was driving my...

I was driving my car this sunday; heard a funny sound then my engine locked up and when I stopped all the oil ran out...,

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

October 31, 2017

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '17 Kia?

Forte

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forte yourself? What have you tried so far?

I don't know what to try because the engine is locked up...,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It has a warrenty on it and it has only 40,000

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/16/2017
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

The engine is going to need to be replaced, any idea why it ran out of oil?

I have no idea; I heard a funny sound me and a few other people in the car then all the lights on the dash board came on..., when I pulled over all the oil just ran out the car...,

It sounds like you may have hit something causing the oil to run out, depending of cause of oil leaking out there is a good chance dealership will not want to cover repair. You might be better off having a independent shop check it out first and replace whatever part caused the leak so dealership doesn't blame you. You can call dealership and ask them first but I wouldn't give them any of your personal information until you know cause of leak. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

there was no leak prior to that sound.
even if there was a leak of oil the car engine oil light would have came on the dashboard..., I did not get that indicator..., nothing indicating low on oil it just suddenly happened.
please help...,

If there was no leak then it should be covered under warranty but if dealership determines that there was a leak and you drove it until engine blew they may try to fight covering it. I personally think it would be worth paying a shop $100 to overlook everything and make sure dealer is not going to determine it to be your fault. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Assuming there was no leak it sounds like a crank bearing failed causing engine to lock up and then when engine locked up a connecting rod snapped and went through oil pan causing all of the oil to leak out. If the only leaks is where rod went through engine then dealership should not give you trouble replacing engine. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, thanks.

the engine locked up and then when I came to a complete stop..., the oil poured out from the protection panel..., I thought it was the timing chain belt but that was on secure..., all that oil came out suddenly. I got gas the following night and check my oil and fluids as I always do..., the levels indicated stable and did not need oil...,

It sounds like my 2nd guess above then where rod bearing failed causing it to snap and go through engine. In this case dealership should replace engine without giving you a hard time. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

okay thank...,

No problem, I'm happy to help. Feel free to let me know how it turns out or if you run into questions, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks again and please do not forget to rate answer.

Dan, Technician
one more question; will the rod always go through the engine?

Not always but about half of the time and a lot of it depends on how fast you were going. The higher the engine rpm the more likely it is. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

I was only going 40 mph...., then suddenly the sound and then the engine died out..., while slowly coasting I tried to restart the car in nutral..., but it would not start so I pulled over and looked under the hood and saw all the oil start to run out the car.
i was in the city not on a highway...,

It can happen even at lower engine rpm so that is still likely the same situation if it wasn't leaking oil before problem happened. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Dan, Technician