Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I have a 2003 Kia Sorento. The gas shoots back from the tank…

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 Kia Sorento. The gas shoots back from the tank whenever I get gas. I waste a lot of money trying to fill up. Kia says they don't know why it does that. They could not find a solution. Please help me!

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No. I only fill up once every 7- 8 days. I only drive a short distance to work daily. It starts quickly every morning. Only when I go to the gas station do I have this problem shooting out allover the car and me.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?

No.The dealership found no solution.So, I found a mechanic that is willing to help me with the problem or your recommendations.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I would like to find a way to end this spillage at the gas pump. I have started to put rubber gloves on to keep the gas from shooting out on my hand.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Kia
11/15/2017
Kia Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician  replied 9 months ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, usually when this happens it's due to a faulty canister close valve or filter. This valve is open when the vehicle is off and allows the fumes to vent during fill up. If it sticks closed or the filter is clogged. it will cause the type of issue you have. I would suggest replacing them and the charcoal canister together. More info below.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting. Rating/accepting does not cost you extra but insures I am credited for my time and knowledge. Follow ups concerning the original question are always free even after rating/accepting. Thank you for using Just Answer!

Hello, I was just wanting to follow up and see how things went.