Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

Ignition key is stuck in the ignition, wont turn left or…

Customer Question
Ignition key is stuck...

Ignition key is stuck in the ignition, wont turn left or right and wont come out.it's a 2010.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Steering wheel turns, key is a little worn but have had no trouble till to day when I was left stranded.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Kia?

Basic RIO 2010

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Rio yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have done nothing but try to turn in, failing that tried to remove it , would not come out. the radio works and the door ajar warning, nothing else.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have had no other problems with the cat till to day.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Kia
10/20/2017
Kia Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • INFORMATION, I have no magic ball, please give me all the details you can.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Is the shifter locked into park?

What position is the key stuck in?

Car is in park, the key is straight up and down
shifter moves normally

See if the battery voltage is good at 12.6 volts.

At the ignition cylinder is a solenoid actuator that moves in and out when you go in and out of park which allows key removal once that actuator is activated. So far the concern looks like this part is bad not moving or the switch at the gear shifter is not sending this signal. Can you check those.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Kia Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 3 months ago

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician