Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Key will not turn. No the steering wheel will not turn and i…

Customer Question
Key will not turn ...

Key will not turn

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

No the steering wheel will not turn and i cant see any damage

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

Rio 2012

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Rio yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked lights, gears, stearing wheel. the lights work and the key does unlock the doors

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

First time this has happen

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Kia
10/18/2017
Kia Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 9 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

is the key wore out ? did you have prior issue turning or suddenly

make sure you have a good 12 volt battery ,check with voltmeter then

lets try resetting it first & we go from there

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 30 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Yeah none of that helped, I just turned the wheel at the same time as the key and That worked

good