Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

2012 Kia Rio Front Hub Assembly. I have a factory service…

2012 Kia Rio Front Hub...
2012 Kia Rio Front Hub Assembly.
I have a factory service manual and have followed the instructions and cannot get the hub disconnected disconnected from the driveshaft.
10/13/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Is there any play between the hub and the cv shaft?

No

Ok, and have you gotten any movement separating the hub and the spindle?

I see what you've got here.

What I do with these is use penetrating oil and spray the cv joint both front and back sides. Then take a hammer and a punch in the center of the cv joint and hammer it to get it moving. You don't want to mushroom the joint or damage the threads so be careful and take your time. As you hammer it, if it doesn't move right away, spray some more penetrating oil ni there. This can be a real bear. The shaft will move in some and once it does that it's starting to move. I would re attach the spindle to the control arms first.

By CV joint, do you mean under the rubber boot or the on the axle nut
driveshaft not axle nut

The center of the cv joint comes through the hub. That's where you want the punch to go when you hit it with the hammer. Right there should break it free. Sometimes they are so tight it won't move, but usually you can get it moving. You don't have to do anything with the rubber boot.

I had done that. Coated with PB Blaster and beat on it with a punch and hammer. Didn't budge. I just coated it again and will let it set a bit.

Sometimes they can be a real nightmare. Also, if you can get your hands on a slide hammer that might work. Attach it at the lugs and see if that helps. Worst case usually is pulling the hub out of the bearing, which has to happen anyway to replace the bearing.

No luck any other suggestions?

Short of pulling the axle and having a shop press it out of there I don't.

Sorry I will open it back up for the other experts to review, if anyone else has any ideas they will let you know.

Please don't reply to me or it will come off the question list and be locked to me.

Sorry it didn't work.

thanks
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Different expert here.

If you havent yet, try a hub puller. It wont pull the hub, but it should push the cv axle in from the hub. It mounts to the hub face and had a center bolt that you tighten. It hits the center of the cv axle shaft end and should push it in as you tighten the bolt - see attached

I ran into my Kia guy at the parts store where I was going to buy a hub puller. He told me not to waste my time or money because it has to be pressed out.
3pac2222
3pac2222, ASE Certified Technician

hi my name is ***** ***** I can help

the parts guy the correct to get the hub out of the spindle you need to high pressure press the push it out , your best bet is to remove the spindle with the bearing and take it to a shop and see if they will press it out and in for you here it a pic of what need to be done

He told me I needed to take the whole axle out to have it pressed out.

yes that is correct the spindle need to be remove from the car the axle should be remove from the spindle first

That's the problem I am having, removing the axle from the spindle. He told me the axle needed pressed out of the spindle.

no it do not did you try to hit it with a hammer ??

I soaked it with PB Blaster and beat the crap out of it and it didn't budge. The attachment you added is the same one from my shop manual. I cannot seperate the hub from the driveshaft. That's what I was told needed pressed out.

no the bearing need to be press out, the axle should come out by just hitting it with a hammer .if it do not it is because it is seize in the hub, you will have to remove the axle with the hub and take it somewhere that have a touch so it can get heat up and beat out you may have to end up replacing the axle at this point

I have had them where I had to replace the spindle and axle and bearing because it do not come out .

do you have any more questions ?

please do not forget to rate my service thanks.

3pac2222
3pac2222, ASE Certified Technician