Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I have 06 Kia sorento 78,000 miles engine lite on any

suggestions...
I have 06 Kia sorento 78,000 miles engine lite on any suggestions
10/13/2017
Dave Hopkins
Dave Hopkins, Technician
Hello and welcome to JA... The best way to handle this is to go to either Pep Boys or Advance Auto or AutoZone... They will scan the system for free then you can tell me what codes do you have in there so I can direct you as to how to repair your vehicle don't let them sell you anything just have them scan the system and tell me what codes you have in there and we can proceed ahead
I already did that Codes 300, 301, 303, 311, 313
I already did Codes 300, 301, 303, 311, 313
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician

Those codes indicate that the vehicle computer is detecting misfires on multiple cylinders. THe cylinders happen to be 2 in the rear of the engine under the intake manifold. How has the engine been running? Notice and roughness or skipping or hestitation? How does it run when the engine is started cold in the morning?

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return. Be sure to please take a quick moment and rate my assistance by clicking the stars above. Thank you for rating and for using Just Answer.

Rough and hesitate trouble starting Thank you so much
Couple questions Is it cylinder or pistons-Why would it mis fire-does it have to do with gas or spark?

Ok your welcome. Misfiring generally has to do with spark. But on the sorento they have problems with the oil control valves. THey are what controls the timing for the right and left banks of the engine. WHen one goes bad they usually cause hard starting in the morning. The oil control valves control engine oil pressure to the camshafts for the timing. First, thing is you should check the engine oil level and condition. Low oil level will cause the oil control valves to not work correctly and create misfires.

oNE LAST QUESTION WHAT IS YOUR RECOMMENDATION

My recommendation would make sure the oil level is good. Then have an oil change with a KIA filter. Aftermarket filters can restrict oil flow. If after that you still have this issue I would replace the right hand side oil control valve.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician