Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I have a 2006 Kia Sorento with 5 speed MT. Our repair shop/

dealership picked it up at...
i have a 2006 Kia Sorento with 5 speed MT. Our repair shop/ dealership picked it up at auction. Check engine light was on showing p0016 to my understanding cam/crank correlation issue of some sort. I took it down and checked timing belt, it looked old and cracked. I then set up the timing marks and it appeared to be off by all of 1 tooth in my eyes. I then replaced timing belt, idler, tensioner, water pump etc. I even changed the cam and crank sensors while in there because they were on the list of causes. put it all back together and on the second start up the same code still comes back everytime. I took it all back apart and put on a new crank sprocket and tone wheel assembly. code still coming back. I did a continuity test between the cam and crank sensor wire harness plugs and the ECM and everything checked out. I also have power and ground to both sensors. I dont know what else to try besides calling it a bad ECM???? any ideas or tips from experience that can help me out??
10/10/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

I thought this engine had the oil control and variable valve timing on it. I don't see it on any of the info for it, so I am going to have to agree with you on the ecm. As long as timing is on and you have signal to the computer, I see no reason for this code to come up. If you do locate an OCV on the engine then I believe that could cause the code because it may not be working properly and advancing the timing when it should.

I can open this up for the other experts if you would like.

I also found nothing for an oil control valve.

It makes sense to me that you would put a new ecm in it. The real hassle or pita here is that they only use one cam sensor, so you can't even compare both cams. I think I would agree with your assessment. Especially if you took the time to look at the wiring from the computer to the sensor. A lot of folks wouldn't do that. I assume you can look at the wave form generated by the cam sensor, but even that isn't going to tell you alot. Unless you can't see it on a scan tool like the ecm see's it. I would also put a computer in it.

ok thank you for your help

You are very welcome!

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Technician