Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

2007 won't start sometimes and hazard lights blink and horn…

Customer Question
2007 won't start sometimes...

2007 won't start sometimes and hazard lights blink and horn beeps and if you wait about 10 minutes it works

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

It's the hazard lights

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '07 Kia?

Ex

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your EX yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't fix anything myself- the forums say it would is a known Kia 2007 problem with Sedona it thinks it's being stolen and has something to do with anti theft

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Kia
10/7/2017
Kia Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

Does this occur with both of your keys?

What does the theft light do with the key in the run position?

I only have one car key. I do not think it really has a anti theft feature I just read on Kia forum that it has happened to others- do you think it is doing it because I turned the key to the lock position and then tried to roll down the window or something- it has happened twice last week and one time like 3 years ago- the hazard lights just start flashing and the horn beeps and the car won't start- it will stop and then repeat like 4 times and then like 10 minutes later it will start again like nothing ever happened

When it will not start, what does the theft light do with the key in the run position?

I try and turn it on and all the lights come on but it's like the whole system has been shut down- is the theft light the hazard lights?

The theft light is not the hazard lights. The theft light is a warning lights near the other warning lights with the gauges.

Oh they are green lights that both flash on and off when this happens- I thought the green lights were hazard lights but I guess they would not cause the horn to beep also
I guess I did not realize I had a theft device- what would be triggering it if I am sitting in the car with the car turned off - the only other thing I can think I might have done was turn the key while it was in the ignition and pushed the door locks or tried to roll down the windows or I might have tried to use the accessory position to do something without turning on the car

What model 07 Kia is this and I will get you a picture of the theft light.

Ex
Sedona ex

The immobilizer indicator theft light is a picture of a car with a key in the middle of it. WHen the car will not start and with the key in the run position, is this light on or flashing?

No I haven't noticed any light with a key in it flashing
Nothing flashes except the two green lights when the horn beeps

On your key fob back side does it say KIA?

Has any one installed an aftermarket alarm, immobilizer, or remote start?

Below the steering column do you see any lights or buttons that appear they should not be there?

the back of the key fob does say Kia- I haven't installed anything I bought it about 3 years old- no those green lights are over the steering wheel that flash

Thanks, ***** ***** turn signals and the pulsing horn is the anti theft immobilizer that is going off. It thinks you are a thief and it is warning everyone around you that a thief is in the vehicle. Sine yours is able to get out of this on its own then it is likely a signal getting from pint A to point B intermittently not occurring like a key that has a worn out chip internally or the transceiver coil on the ignition tumbler is weak and not always detecting the correct key is being used. Step one in this case will be a scan tool to see which codes are stored. Once that is known then the repairs and reprogramming can be done to prevent this from occurring any more.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician