Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

2005 Kia Sedonia will not start. Battery is up. Lights turn,

Customer Question
2005 Kia Sedonia will...

2005 Kia Sedonia will not start. Battery is up. Lights turn, on all gauges and dash lights pop on. Turn key to start and nothing other then lights dim out and no starter action.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sedona yourself? What have you tried so far?

My son just checked connection under the hood,

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Kia
10/6/2017
Kia Mechanic: jacksonsm21, Mechanic replied 10 months ago
jacksonsm21
jacksonsm21, Mechanic
Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started
Do you have a volt meter or a test light....you will need to check for power at the starter while you have an assistant turn the key to the crank position
I do not have any tools. I just by looking t a diagram know where the starter is but am not able to physically check it out. age 72 and ............
I have heard this problem could be a tech problem security safe guard gone bad............I owned a car once that had a key the had a security chip n it but my keys do nt look the like that key so I rules that out but what do you think
What I am after is knowledge to prevent getting ripped off
The fact that your lights dim when you try to start it tells me that it is trying to do something (something is drawing currant). My guess without any testing would be that your starter has failed
Just wanted to check in with you and see how you made out?