Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

It's having trouble staying on after a cold ignition, and…

Customer Question
Hey! it's having trouble...

Hey! it's having trouble staying on after a cold ignition, and will cut off after a couple seconds of the rpm's going crazy between 1 and 2k. along with random misfires every couple minutes

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it a steady misfire? Or random?

146k i think. it's random.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

05 kia optima lx

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i'm fixing it myself, and thus far i've tried replacing an ignition coil that seemed faulty, and adding exhaust leak tape to an exhaust leak that is pretty bad.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My timing belt went out 2 weeks ago and the misfire happened after that. there was first a misfire associated with having to re-position the spark plugs, which made the misfire go away.. then another one came back.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Kia
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/1/2017
Kia Mechanic: john aka eauto, The Car Guy  replied 8 months ago
john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
any codes other then missfires?

there are actually no codes coming up. my mechanic plugged up his code reader and was looking for a while and from what i understood nothing came up.

sounds like a throttle body isue possible IAC has he attempted a throttle cleaning?

He has not.
if i start my engine (cold or hot) it will sometimes bounce between 1 and 2k rpms and then die after 3-5 seconds. during this time it sounds like only 2 pistons are firing (at the least multiple misfires are happening). I started it one time and while this was happening, i gassed tit to about 4k rpm, then the misfiring stopped and i was able to drive the car no problem.
would that narrow down your diagnostic better?

well why is it missfiring does it have good fuel pressure?

I wouldn't know how to diagnose that myself, but i'm sure it does. The misfire is definitely random and the car can idle for a minute or so before you feel/hear a single misfire. then i drive it for any amount of time and it can die coming to a stop.

is your mechanic a real mechanic or a back yard type guy

he's a real mechanic. replaced my a.c., timing belt, he's got a shop and multiple employees. but this is a tricky one cause we couldn't replicate the problem when i had the car with him.

is it doing it now and is the engine light on?

no it is not, and no the light is not on.

so its running perfect now?

it's not bucking between the rpm's, just a random misfire every so often.
The check engine light just came on for the first time. It's not safe to drive to autozone because i don't want to stall out downtown but my neighbor should be coming by this afternoon with a code reader.

ok pull codes and respond back