Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I have a 2006 Kia Sedona. The a/c is not working properly.

Customer Question
I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 Kia Sedona. The a/c is not working properly. If the van has been sitting & not running, when you start the van & turn a/c on, it while run fine for about 20 minutes, whether idling or driving. Then it shut off, clutch disengages. After tha, unless you turn the ignition off, the a/c will not come back on. When it's happening my psi is 40/125-140. I've changed the compressor, checked the relay & high psi switch & dash board a/c button. They all seem to be working when I check them. It seems like there's a lock out relay that's acting up. Can you help?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No. I even think the compressor I took out was working fine. I thought the coil was warming up & then failing. This is a new compressor & it's doing the same thing. No clutch slippage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sedona yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm working on it myself. I switch the a/c relay with the fuel pump relay, to see if the problem would follow the relay. It didn't, a/c stopped & fuel pump was fine. I've unplugged the high psi switch, while the a/c clutch is engaged & the clutch disengages & when I plug the high psi switch back in the clutch re-engages. I've pushed the dash a/c button on & off before the problem occurs & the the clutch reacts to a/c button position on or off. It seems to me like there's a lock out relay or control that, once tripped, it locks the clutch coil out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Kia
10/2/2017
Kia Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

Do you have auto or manual climate control?

Are you good with electrical diag?

I have manual climate control, which I had checked & verified it's ops. I continued try in' to resolve the problem & found that the engine cooling thermostat was sticking & restricting flow. I'm assuming once the engine temp went high enough, but not overheating, the clutch on a.c. is disengaged to try & compensate & lower engine temp. I pulled the thermostat & installed new t-stat. I've since taken the van for several test rides with no problem. I also left the van idling & have no problem. I'm not a thermostat expert, so I don't know what was causing it to stick. Visually, the old t-stat looked fine.

Do you want to keep monitoring it and report back if needed or are there any questions remaining now that you would like me to answer?

Kiatech
Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician