Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I have a 2006 Kia Sedona. The a/c is not working properly.

Customer Question
I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 Kia Sedona. The a/c is not working properly. If the van has been sitting & not running, when you start the van & turn a/c on, it while run fine for about 20 minutes, whether idling or driving. Then it shut off, clutch disengages. After tha, unless you turn the ignition off, the a/c will not come back on. When it's happening my psi is 40/125-140. I've changed the compressor, checked the relay & high psi switch & dash board a/c button. They all seem to be working when I check them. It seems like there's a lock out relay that's acting up. Can you help?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No. I even think the compressor I took out was working fine. I thought the coil was warming up & then failing. This is a new compressor & it's doing the same thing. No clutch slippage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sedona yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm working on it myself. I switch the a/c relay with the fuel pump relay, to see if the problem would follow the relay. It didn't, a/c stopped & fuel pump was fine. I've unplugged the high psi switch, while the a/c clutch is engaged & the clutch disengages & when I plug the high psi switch back in the clutch re-engages. I've pushed the dash a/c button on & off before the problem occurs & the the clutch reacts to a/c button position on or off. It seems to me like there's a lock out relay or control that, once tripped, it locks the clutch coil out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Kia
10/2/2017
Kia Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 10 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

Do you have auto or manual climate control?

Are you good with electrical diag?

I have manual climate control, which I had checked & verified it's ops. I continued try in' to resolve the problem & found that the engine cooling thermostat was sticking & restricting flow. I'm assuming once the engine temp went high enough, but not overheating, the clutch on a.c. is disengaged to try & compensate & lower engine temp. I pulled the thermostat & installed new t-stat. I've since taken the van for several test rides with no problem. I also left the van idling & have no problem. I'm not a thermostat expert, so I don't know what was causing it to stick. Visually, the old t-stat looked fine.

Do you want to keep monitoring it and report back if needed or are there any questions remaining now that you would like me to answer?