Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Brought my kia sedona 2006 to the dealership. They were

Customer Question
supposed to check for an...
Brought my kia sedona 2006 to the dealership. They were supposed to check for an issue that another dealership said I had (and other dealership claimed they did a test for but didn't, plus caused a crack in the bumper but that does not impact his question - just makes me question all kia dealerships these days) anyway, so they supposedly did a check for the tsb issue (don't believe that since the car is supposed to be cold and they moved it and then tested it? so that's issue number one with this dealership, issue 2 is when I went to start my car the top of shifter came off in my hand and the button would not depress. It was not like this prior at all. The dealership is claiming that the plastic inside the shifter broke but not do to them and must have just happened when I started the car or was there before (NO it was not) - what are the chances it just so happened to break when I started it? ( I need to take a long trip and afraid to with this condition)
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Kia
10/1/2017
Kia Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician  replied 10 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

You wouldnt happen to have the TSB number would you? I can check to see if the requires removal of the shifter or not,

eng 028 but even if removal is not required again what are the odds that it would break just as i got into it at the dealership. Also they had to move my car so not sure they even tested for that tsb correctly since it is supposed to be cold when tested is my understanding. There was a woman who was crying there as well because several things were wrong on her car that were not there prior to her bringing it in!

the odds are very slim thats for sure, are you able to shift it now with out any issues? you just have to hold down the shifter to shift?, and according the that tsb the vehicle needs to be fully cooled down, depending on the day and where you are that could take some time maybe even all day

The odds are slim that it just would so happen to break at that time? Would they need to mess with it or that area or not? How can I get them to pay Kia corporate is also slimy lately.
Also the paperwork does not reflect this was an issue, although they claim they noted it. Also I asked service if I would have a problem coming after hours to drop it off because I used them years ago and AAA couldn't even get through their gates and they don't have a sign or anything where you have to park. So I asked and they assured me a gate would be open - and it was not!! So I had to park at a neighboring dealership.I live far away and this is the closest Kia so could not just turn around esp since I needed a ride so had to park it not at their own dealership! So for one, they had to move it to test it - does that make the test invalid??? Also they unbelievably still did not know they close all the gates when I discussed this with them and I asked how is a customer supposed to drop off the car and they said something even more ridiculous to leave it outside any of the gates which is a very bad spot and stupid! I would not have come at that time if I knew I couldn't park at their dealership and wait for it - they are now stating they are not responsible for the shift because since I didn't park at their dealership - they have no proof I locked my car ( I did and nothing else was wrong or taken out of it) and they are stating someone may have messed with it at the other car dealership!!

so when they retrieved the car they could have performed the test, and it sounds like they just dont care about you, which I have worked for dealerships like this that have zero customer service and treat the customer bad, this all the service managers doing, you can start a case with kia north America and possibly get some answers that way, I hate to say it but is there a different dealer you can go to ?

I already mentioned i have a case with Kia corporate just getting the test and they are horrible. I mentioned how this got started with the other Kia stating i had the issue and lying about having done the test to get me to pay for the repair of the tensioners. Okay no kidding they don't care about me. You did not answer my questions. 1. So for one, they had to move it to test it - does that make the test invalid??? (or how else do they perform it completely cold as they would even have to move it probably close to their diagnostic machine regardless) 2. Could that test have caused them to mess with the stick shifter and caused that plastic to break inside or???
already stated NO I don't have any other kia dealerships any closer and they are all horrible anyway. the one right near me closed twice under 3 different owners in the most popular area in my state to have a dealership they can't keep one going and word is they too were scammers!

they do the test just by listening and making a educated decision

Ok still not answering the questions.
The idiot that moved the car didn't perform the test prior to moving it and btw I already know about the test - like it has to be for so many seconds making the noise upon a cold start up. Also on my paperwork do not explain they did the test although it says attached. So again 1. Can I rely on this test as being done and car being safe to drive and not having the issue of the tensioners based on what I relayed to you? 2. Does this test affect the drive stick - one piece of the leather top came off in my hand and had zero problem with the button sticking or being able to shift prior to this visit - if the test does not affect it how would you ascertain or state they had caused the problem (and i already gave you THEIR side of excuses trying to blame it on me or my parking out of necessity not inside their gates.)
on 2. How could the drive stick have broken ?
It says you are online are you goint to answer?