Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Key is stuck in ignition, won't turn past acc or turn off.

Customer Question
Key is stuck in...

Key is stuck in ignition, won't turn past acc or turn off

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes steering turns, I'm not sure about damage or ware on key

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

2013 sportage

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sportage yourself? What have you tried so far?

Had to have it towed to my brother in laws. We are 3 hours from home, haven't tried anything other than turning steering wheel left and right, putting in park and neutral, and unhooking battery terminals

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Kia
10/1/2017
Kia Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician  replied 10 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

You may have to remove the lock cylinder and inspect for damage but before we get to that have you tried spraying wd 40 on the cylinder and tapping on the key with a small hammer to see if you can get the tumblers to come loose?

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Shawn.