Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I have a 2010 kia rio lx auto trans with 145000 miles on…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 2010 kia rio lx auto trans with 145000 miles on it....wont start....battery is good...starter is good.....relay is good.....it wants to start but doesn't crank over....only tries to crank over once when I turn the key then nothing.....any ideas before I take it to a garage?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

In park....haven't tried neutral yet....don't know about a wheel lock feature

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Rio yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am.....had battery and starter tested and both are ok....I switched out a relay with the same type of relay to see if it would start and that didn't work

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I know the temp light came on a couple times a few days ago but it was just low on anti freeze and I filled it up

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Kia
9/28/2017
Kia Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

How many seconds does it turn over before it stops?

one second on the first try......
it doesn't really crank over tho

Then if you try again do you even hear starter click?

no clicks......im I supposed to hear the fuel pump when I turn the key cause I don't?
the starters good....I had it tested

You can usually hear it but not always. Lets make sure we are even talking about the same thing "Turn over" means the starter is turning engine while trying to start. Does engine turn when trying to start?

but just once
starter was tested three times

I think starter may be the problem. When they test it on bench it doesn't have to turn over engine so it doesn't require as much effort to just spin. To properly test starter you will want to monitor voltage on both wires going to starter during the problem. Each wire should have at least 11v with key in start position, if voltage is good but starter isn't working this would prove starter is the problem. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks.

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer as that is how I am compensated for time/information. Thanks.