Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I have a 2006 kia spectra that will not start. The lights…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 2006 kia spectra that will not start. The lights flash and the horn is making a low clicking noise.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

I have swapped out the main relay, the starter relay and that all seems to be fine. I bought a new battery and had my old one tested. That was still good. Then I checked the main relay fuse, that's good.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Spectra yourself? What have you tried so far?

I went and started trying to check the fusible links and the only thing that affects this is the ignition switch fusible link. If I pull it then the car stops with the ticking and the flaching lights, I out it back in and it starts doing it again. I tried putting in a different fusible link and it still does it. I can even have it in and pull the starter relay and main relay and it continues. I am working on it myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It has to be somewhere from the ignition switch path down. nope I think that is all.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Kia
9/18/2017
Kia Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 11 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

Try to Do master reset

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 30 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

I will try that now.

do that and we go from there just let me know

Chad

make sure you have a good 12 volt battery and holding

we had the battery tested and its good.

ok lets do reset

no luck. The only thing that changed is the very low honking is now a very loud honking
when I open the car door now it sets it off just like an alarm but, they say there is no alarm on this car.

can you send me a picture of teh dash warning lights and the igntion switch

I will go take one.

ok

you want me to take the steer column pieces off and take a picture of the ignition switch behind the key spot?
the lights that are on when the car key is in the on postion is check engine, brake, battery, and oil because car will not turn over at all.

yes please do that will be great

is the battery good 12 volts checked with voltmeter

We took it in to the auto parts store and had it tested. I had to leave for work and will nor be able to take steering wheel apart till tonight.

no problem , this will take some back and forth ,yes read below how to get back in touch with me

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat